On Wednesday, Hallmark gave fans a sneak peek to their Countdown to Christmas 2020 movies. There will be a total of 40 movies that will air on the Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. The premiere date is October 23 and they will last into the beginning of 2021.
But, in 2020 there is more. One of those things is that they are working on including some LGBTQ storylines in some of the movies. This is fulfilling a promise parent company Crown Media made in January.
And, because we just all need it right now, Hallmark is releasing two special wines for Christmas.
Lots of Christmas news. Let’s get started!
The Hallmark Channel Is Releasing 23 New Christmas Movies For Countdown To Christmas
On Wednesday, Hallmark sent out a press release announcing their Countdown to Christmas plans for 2020. Hallmark has already shared just under two-thirds of their Countdown to Christmas offerings.
Some of these titles, like Christmas In Vienna have already been filmed. Others, like the When Calls The Heart Christmas 2020 movie, will begin filming sometime this summer/early fall.
Most importantly, fans can get excited about a Hallmark Christmas starting on Friday, October 23. This is when they will kick off the Countdown To Christmas 2020.
- A Royal Holiday, starring Laura Osnes, Aaron Tveit, and Krystal Joy Brown
- Jingle Bell Bride, starring Julie Gonzalo and Ronnie Rowe
- Christmas in Vienna, starring Sarah Drew and Brennan Elliott
- A Christmas Tree Grows in Brooklyn, starring Rochelle Aytes and Mark Taylor
- If I Only Had Christmas, starring Candace Cameron Bure
- Deliver by Christmas, starring Alvina August and Eion Bailey
- On the 12th Date of Christmas, starring Mallory Jansen and Tyler Hynes
- Christmas Waltz, starring Lacey Chabert
- Jingle Bell Bride, starring Julie Gonzalo and Ronnie Rowe
- Christmas in Evergreen 4, starring Rukiya Bernard and Holly Robinson Peete
- Chateau Christmas, starring Merritt Patterson and Luke Macfarlane
- Cross Country Christmas, starring Rachael Leigh Cook
- Christmas Carnival, starring Tamera Mowry-Housley
- When Calls the Heart Christmas 2020, starring Erin Krakow, Pascale Hutton, Jack Wagner, Kavan Smith, Chris McNally, Kevin McGarry, Paul Greene, Andrea Brooks, and Martin Cummins
— Hallmark Movies & Mysteries (@hallmarkmovie) July 15, 2020
Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Is Releasing 17 New Christmas Movies For Miracles Of Christmas
Hallmark’s sister station, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries are also starting their Miracles of Christmas on Friday, October 23. They will be releasing 17 new movies. Some include familiar names like Michael Rady, Andrew Walker and Holly Robinson Peete. There are also some new Hallmark talent signed on, including Marisol Nichols (Riverdale), Janel Parrish (Pretty Little Liars) and Jeremy Jordan (Supergirl).
Right now, they have only announced five titles. But, there will be 12 more announced in the coming months.
- Christmas Tree Lane, starring Alicia Witt and Andrew Walker
- Holly & Ivy, starring Janel Parrish, Jeremy Jordan, and Marisol Nichols
- The Christmas Bow, starring Lucia Micarelli and Michael Rady
- Cranberry Christmas, starring Nikki DeLoach and Benjamin Ayres
- Christmas Doctor, starring Holly Robinson Peete
Welcoming New Talent
Michelle Vicary, the Executive Vice President, Program & Network Publicity at Crown Media Family Networks made a statement regarding some of the changes made at Hallmark.
“The Hallmark brand on TV has always championed positivity and emotional connection, and thanks to the dedication of our development teams and producing partners, we are excited to welcome new talent on both sides of the camera, as well as, announcing renewals of all of our original series and the return of beloved stars. Hallmark Channel Original Series are enviable within the industry for their longevity and for creating one of the most winning schedules on television.”
Hallmark says it is in "active negotiations" to include LGBTQ storylines in its holiday movie lineup. https://t.co/gO3ENm4bOF
— NBC News (@NBCNews) July 16, 2020
Working On Including Some LGBTQ Storylines
Meanwhile, in the press release, Hallmark listed new talent that will be working with them for the Countdown To Christmas, Miracles of Christmas, and other programming. Moreover, their intention is to become more diverse and inclusive.
NBC reported that Hallmark is ready to include some LGBTQ storylines. For example, they report that a Crown Media representative advised that “some” of the Christmas movies “will include LGBTQ storylines, characters and actors.”
For instance, George Zaralidis, the vice president of network program publicity shared their intention. “We are committed to creating a Hallmark experience where everyone feels welcome.”
Subsequently, what does this mean? Above all, Zaralidis shared that Hallmark wants to be diverse and inclusive. Right now, they are indicating that more announcements are in the near future when he shared their intention.
“Diversity and inclusion is a top priority for us and we look forward to making some exciting programming announcements in the coming months, including announcements about projects featuring LGBTQ storylines, characters, and actors.”
But, right now, they are in “active negotiations.” Likewise, once these are done, they will make announcements. This is huge news, as the network points out that neither Hallmark nor Lifetime featured any LGBTQ leads in their Christmas 2019 offerings.
Hallmark Christmas Wines
Lastly, what Hallmark can announce now is that they have Christmas wines to offer in 2020. Festively named “Jingle” and “Joy,” they are available for pre-order now. Jingle is a Cabernet Sauvignon. This full-bodied wine has aromas of cherry, dark chocolate and a “hint” of holiday spice. Joy is a Sauvignon Blanc. This crisp wine has notes of tropical fruits, white peach and ripe pineapple.
In short, Hallmark is working with lifestyle company Wines That Rock. Subsequently, they have made these special wines available to their viewers and for holiday gift-giving.
Countdown to Christmas and Miracles of Christmas premiere on Friday, October 23.
- Will There Be ‘When Calls The Heart’ 2021 Christmas Movie? - July 24, 2021
- Double Lock Your Doors & Watch Lifetime’s ‘Next Door Nightmare’ - July 24, 2021
- ‘When Calls The Heart’s’ Paul Greene To Become A Father Again - July 24, 2021