Welcome to Plathville premiered on Tuesday night on TLC. It’s the first episode in a series of six and explores yet another odd-ball family. Similar to the Duggars, the family lives a religious life and self-impose all sort of deprivations. Naturally, fans took to social media to vent their feelings about it. Many of them reacted with some skepticism.
Welcome To Plathville gets cool reactions from fans of TLC
To recap, TV shows Ace explained that the reality TV series brings nine kids and the parents. The two eldest kids, Ethan and Hossana Plath married. The rest of the kids are “Micah, 18, Moriah, 17, Lydia, 15, Isaac, 13, Amber, 10, Cassia, 8, and Mercy, 6.” These kids get denied access to modern technology like the internet and television and follow severely restricted diets. There is no sodas, no watching football, and no college.
Well, one of the first reactions on Twitter asked, “Not sure how I feel about this. Where did @TLC find these stories? Obviously they didn’t contact them or did they? That’s the real question!” Of course, that could relate to the fact that the Duggars do have some connection to the Plaths. We noted in another article, that Josh Duggar’s brother-in-law, Nathan Keller courts Nurie Rodrigues. Her family is friendly with the Duggars. She’s the best friend of the eldest Plath daughter and took part in her wedding. This sort of thing could account for the rather cool reactions to Welcome To Plathville.
Skeptical fans question the viability of the storyline
People writes that the eldest boy and his wife Olivia are featured front and center on the show. He found his freedom from all the family restrictions after his wedding. In the show, we heard Ethan say the past six months of marriage ‘have definitely been the best six months of my life…I mean, independence is nice and all, but then to have someone to share it with is just very, very nice.'” On the Welcome To Plathville show, we saw Ethan drink a coke. That was a big day for him!
Allegedly, Olivia also got raised in quite a “conservative family,” but she’s blown away by the restrictions on the Plath kids. So, naturally, she clashes with Ethan’s mom, Kim. And, with Ethan, she’s letting him do things like drink coke and even go to the gym. One critic on Twitter noted about Ethan, “So he’s so isolated but found a wife. Right. I’m buying this bullsh*t.” Also, it’s notable that on his private Instagram profile, Ethan says, “Workaholic who loves inventing, designing + finding new projects.” One assumes the Welcome to Plathville star needed some type of technology to invent and design in this day and age.
Ethan Plath grew up isolated from modern culture, and now his wife Olivia is excited to show him the real world! (aka watching Friends and drinking Coke 😂). Meet their family on the new series #WelcomeToPlathville, TONIGHT at 10/9c. pic.twitter.com/tI147bDz0j
— TLC Network (@TLC) November 5, 2019
Other skeptics comment on the new TLC show
Of course, more opinions came from viewers of the premiere and few of them were complimentary. Here’s what a few of them said about Welcome To Plathville:
- @ValdostaMiss: “They have chosen to be isolated all these years and suddenly wanna dive feet first into the world of reality tv….ummmm yeah ok. This is either the biggest lie ever or a very long con…LOL.”
- @glamma239: “Did you see the trailer? Imagine not knowing Batman. I’m skeptical.”
- @ILTCwcfe: “I mean..HOW was Olivia even attracted to Ethan in the 1st place? They seem SO different! But good for her for having the patience to culture him and essentially help him grow up. It is so bizarre though!”
- @Terrybl51234541: “This is all too weird and just don’t seem to sit right.”
What did you think about the premiere of the TLC show? Did you think there’s something off that deserves a cool and skeptical reaction from followers on social media? Sound off your thoughts in the comments below.
Remember to check back with TV Shows Ace often for more news about Welcome To Plathville.
Latest posts by Woryn Jay (see all)
- ‘The Bachelor’: Fantasy Suite Spoilers, Elimination, The Last Two Contestants - February 17, 2020
- ‘The Bachelor’: Victoria Fuller Reportedly Once Got Arrested For DUI - February 17, 2020
- Duggar: Jill Dillard Shares Fun Hobo Stove Cooking Moments, Some Critics Think It’s Dangerous - February 17, 2020